Monday, December 5, 2011

Week 6 Case study 10

1. Of the two girls, which do you think will create the best scholarship essay? Why?
Its hard to say. Glenna may do better because she is enthusiastic about it, but will this bring the material she is writing about astray? Laura may not do as well because she is dreading it, because of all the miserable time in class she has spent working on them. But does this mean that she will have set more attention to the material and its mechanical nature? its hard to say who will write the best paper.

2. As a teacher, what must you do to prepare your students for digital storytelling?
What I must prepare is that I need to understand completely how the program I am using in my class works, and if I dont know the answers I know where to look or who to ask. I also but take additional time to prepare a lesson on how to use the program for the students to understand. And lastly I must ask ahead of a computer lab time being that these movie editing programs save bits and pieces of files so students will have a very hard time taking it home to work on it.

3. Why is it significant to mention Laura’s actions of texting and iPod use?
I feel like it was not actually significant to mention it. Yes so she likes ipods and love to watch movies...So do I and im sure a lot of other people do, that doesn't mean she will love the digital story telling assignment. some people like the more analytical way. Personally I view writing out a paper is more efficient being that you spend many days setting up a digital story telling and only to get 5 min of video out of it. yes "photo can say a 1,000 words" but how much time did a student waste looking for that photo? or aligning the music just right. That is where I think the problem is. We make it soo customizable for students they get lost on the bigger image and are focused on the small entertainment features of the project.

4. Besides YouTube and Facebook, what are other ways that digital stories can be shared?
Well if the are part of a classroom assignment they should not be shared at all, instead assessed and destroyed to prevent any liability on your part, yes the student can take home a copy of it, but it is no longer your problem. E-mail they can be shared, school webpages as well; but we have to be careful on what we put out for the public to view.

5.In what ways did Mr. Smith’s digital storytelling project help boost Glenna’s confidence?
He made it more personal to the students because it is more customizable, and unique; versus the structured paper everyone has to write out.

6. How might Laura have benefited if she were in Mr. Smith’s class last semester?
To say she benefited is an unproven fact, what if she didn't do better? I do think that yes, Mr. Smiths projects gave the students a moral boost for their papers, and made them more excited for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment